Sunday, February 11, 2007

Meatstick Race: Valentine's 5k - Love 'em or Leave 'em.



The sun broke through just long enough to shine on the 1,400 people gathered at Greenlake in Seattle today for the 2nd annual Love 'em or Leave 'em 5k.
This is an interesting race b/c they hold it on Sunday morning at one of the most overcrowded parks the Jet City has to offer. Greenlake is the mecca for every jogger, walker, yuppie, and babysitter on their weekly workout hajj. There are more iPods, cell phones, and Nike Zooms at this place than in New York City at Christmas. This makes it interesting for the runners as you attempt to navigate your way around the 3 mile lake on the narrow path that encircles the lake. You get around the lady with the stroller and the two King Charles Cavaliers not on leashes and you think you have some daylight , only to run smack into the line of people formed by the guy selling mocha choca lattes at a converted hot dog stand.

I ended up running 1:20 faster than I did last year (17:20 down from 18:40) so I was pretty happy with the actual results of the race (15th out of about 1,400). Another stat that former competitve runners, like myself, like to use is "how many girls beat me?" Three females beat me last year and only 1 beat me this year so I also improved in this ever important category! Next year I'm hoping the lady that beat me puts on some weight and gets up to about 88 pounds so that she slows down and I can blow by her, and sleep better at night.





No comments: