Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Meatstick Opinion: Baseball is the Best

Today I spent my afternoon at the Mariners/White Sox game. As I sat there I began to think of all the reasons why going to baseball game is my favorite pastime. I will concentrate on the events surrouding a baseball game, and not the actual sport itself:
  1. People bring beer to you. No waiting in lines (like at a bar) and throwing elbows just to get overcharged 78% on a bottle of Bud. Instead dudes walk around and sell you beer right at your seat. So you don't even have to do any work to get overcharged 78% on a bottle of Bud.
  2. Social interaction. With all the down time during a baseball game it is almost impossible to go to a game and not strike up a conversation with the people around you. Normally I hate social interaction with people, but in this case it is different b/c I share a common bond with everyone at the stadium. To some degree, we all like baseball. For those 9 innings you really don't care and you would probably never know if the guy sitting next to you is a wack job neocon...instead, he is just a nice guy who likes baseball.
  3. Unlike other sports, a fan is actually part of the action. So much so that if you aren't paying attention you could potentially get knocked out by a foul ball. It doesn't matter if you are 5 year old attending your first game or a 78 year old taking your grandson to his first game, everyone who goes to a game has the chance to catch a ball. I've never caught a foul ball or a homerun but it seems like one of the greatest enjoyments in the life of a sports fan. For at least 10 seconds the guy who catches a ball is the coolest guy in the stadium. Everyone around you cheers and occasionally you can get even get rewarded for your efforts by getting on TV or the "big screen."
  4. The smell of the park. I'm not someone who enjoys food all that much, but even I admit that a ballpark smells like good food.
  5. Fairly reasonable prices. I could buy a ticket to today's game for $7. There is certainly no other major sport where you could be offered admission for a measly $7. Hell, you can't even go see a shitty movie at a theatre for $7.
There are obviously many more reasons why I think baseball games are the best, but these are the top 5.

No comments: