Saturday, July 7, 2007

Meatstick History: First Person To Run out of Gas in a Prius??

I am on vacation in San Diego. My wife and I drove from Seattle in 3 days staying at friends' places along the way. On Friday we accomplished something truly remarkable in hybrid history. We ran out of gas (and battery power) just north of Los Angeles. The Prius gave us warning well in advance that we were low but we decided to power on and make it to an In N Out Burger before filling up. The next thing I knew I was running down the highway in Santa Clarita, CA looking for a Shell station. In 98 degree heat I found the station. This was 1.5 miles later and after I lost 15 pounds that I can't really afford to lose.

The Prius brand is having a rough time in Cali this week. First Al Gore III gets arrested going 100mph with weed in a Prius and then I run out of juice on the highway in one.

To top it off...there is no sun in San Diego, the sunniest city in America. However, San Diego is still nicer with no sun than 98% of America with all the sun in the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You also ran out of gas on a 1985 Honda 550. Funny thing about machines - they need fuel every so often - you'll catch on eventually.

kate said...

Aunt Jeanne would piss herself if she read this.

I learned a boatload from the woman and life's wisdom can be summed up thusly: "You should always have at least a thousand dollars in your bank account and a quarter of a tank of gas in your car."

Know it. Learn it. Live it.