Friday, March 23, 2007

Meatstick Event: Last Day in the Army (updated)

Well, today is my last day in the Army. I'm officially done after serving five years on active duty and nine years total if you include the four years in college. I disliked being in the Army about 95% of the time, and I am thrilled to finally be out. But, I must say that I have some mixed emotions for a few reasons. First, I have a lot of good friends that are still either in Iraq or about to be sent there (not voluntarily). Second, the unit I spent a year in Iraq with between 2003-2004 is back over there right now trying to help secure the insanity that is Baghdad. Although I can't say I'm upset that I am not there with them, I always wish that we were able to finish the job when we left back in 2004. Obviously that wasn't the case because of the "wack a mole" strategy (we hit insurgents in one town and they just move to the next) that an insufficient number of US troops in Iraq must use. Contrary to what President Bush once said, the mission has not been accomplished. I guess that is the reason for my bittersweet feelings.

As I move on in life I will always try to focus on the 5% that I enjoyed about the Army. I have made some of the best friends a person could ever have. The Army also set me up pretty well financially, considering I left college with zero loans and money in the bank. I also got free LASIK eye surgery, which cannot be overlooked (play on words).

I'm sure there are times when I might miss some aspects of the Army, but then all I will need is a quote like this, from Mr. Bush today, to bring me back to reality:
...if the spending bill is not approved and signed into law by April 15, troops and their families "will face significant disruptions."
What disruptions could soldiers and their families possibly face that could be worse than 18 month deployments to Iraq with 12 months at home before the next 18 month deployment?

No comments: