Friday, March 30, 2007

Meatstick Opinion: Driving While Texting

It appears my adopted home of Washington State is moving ahead with a law to make it illegal to Drive While Texting.

On the surface I think this is a great idea, but in theory it makes no sense to me because you are still not addressing the problem. They are trying to ban DWT because it can obviously be very dangerous if you are driving 75 down I-5 and texting important stuff to your friend like, "Dude the Red Sox suc I hate them What r u up to?"
My question is why are they being so arbitrary with DWT? There are plenty of other actions that go on in a car that are just as distracting. If this law were to pass you could get a fine of $101 for telling your friend the Red Sox suck, but here is a list of other things you could do that are perfectly legal:
  • Peel and eat an orange (I did this yesterday)
  • Take pictures of Mt. Rainier on a sunny day
  • Stick your head out a window and yell to a newly married bride, "I hope you don't get a divorce."
  • Wave a Brazilian flag out the driver window during the World Cup
  • Wave a Mexican flag out the driver window during Cinco de Mayo
  • Watch The Simpsons on your laptop on the passenger seat (I did this while driving through Montana once)
  • Clean up your spilled Decaf White Chocolate Mocha with no whip cream
You get the point...banning DWT is a good idea, but doesn't solve the root of the problem. Adult Attention Deficit Disorder is on the rise, there is nothing we can do about it.

1 comment:

kate said...

Wow. You bring up a very good point. How come it's not illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving? Isn't that just as distracting? Full disclosure - I've texted while driving. But my kids weren't in the car with me. And so I only felt slightly guilty while doing it.

Someone here in Tampa caused an awful accident and said it was because she was changing a CD.

Is it illegal to have sex while driving? I won't even get into that. Your dad might read this and call my mom again to complain about me. ;-)

What about yelling at your children that they're killing your soul? Clearly that could cause an accident.

I read somewhere that if you sneeze while driving your eyes stay shut for approx. 75 feet.

Hmmm. Plenty to think about.