Thursday, June 21, 2007

Meatstick Opinion: Pitcher Paul Byrd is Selfish

I wanted to watch TV yesterday for about 20 minutes. I started at the bottom of the channels and started working my way up trying to find something that was at least half worth watching. Without thinking about what channel I was on, I suddenly stopped when I saw highlights of a baseball player. I quickly realized I was watching the religious "700 Club." They were interviewing Cleveland Indians pitcher Paul Byrd about his faith. I always find it comical when athletes hit a homerun or catch a touchdown and immediately point to the heavens and thank God. It was interesting to actually hear an athlete deeply reflect upon his faith. At first the interview was pretty basic until Paul Byrd busted out with this quote regarding a time in his life after shoulder surgeries when he thought his career might be ending:

“I went and I hopped the fence at three in the afternoon, and I just sat on the mound by myself and prayed to God,” Paul says. “And this is going to sound corny, but I said, ‘I never asked you this before but I need you to be my pitching coach right now. You’re all things to all men, and I need you to be my pitching coach.”
Here is a guy who, up until his shoulder surgeries, already had a nice 7 year baseball career that had seen him named to the NL all star team. He had made over $2 million playing a kids game. Instead of sitting on the pitcher's mound and thanking God for a great career, this guy asks God to be his pitching coach.

I think this is an extremely selfish action. He obviously believed in God; therefore, he really expected God would answer any prayer that he asked of Him. Instead of maybe asking God to be:
  • the Director of FEMA
  • the Democratic presidential candidate in 2004
  • the President of Sudan
  • the Director of Elections in Iran
This guy asks God to be his own personal pitching coach. Great job Paul for turning God into an underpaid member of the Kansas City Royals (his team at the time) coaching staff. The people of Louisianna, Darfur, and Iran thank you.

No comments: