Thursday, June 7, 2007

Meatstick Poll: Should Gay Men Be Allowed to Donate Blood

I am in NEPA for the week. I noticed a poll here on the local CBS affiliate tv station news (WYOU) last night that asked whether gay men should be able to donate blood. I was pretty surprised to see the following results of the poll:

Blood Donations and Gay Men
Do you think gay men should be allowed to donate blood?

Yes 39.74%
No 60.26%

No is winning by a landslide. These results might make sense if the question was "Do you think gay men should be able to date your brother?"

I'm assuming the people that voted 'no' are uneducated on the subject and don't realize that all donated blood is tested for diseases such as HIV, syphilis, and hepatitis. I'm also going to assume that all of the people that voted 'no' on this question never actually needed donated blood before.

I think the lesson here is: If you aren't fully educated on a topic please don't vote on that topic.

3 comments:

Jayron Finan said...

I've been waiting all week for a post! It was worth it. :)

Anonymous said...

yep, and i vote no too, just ain't safe to get blood from those rascals no matter how many tests!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.